Trendy ankle tattoos are gaining popularity these days, especially among women. This type of tattoo is especially suitable for women who are looking for a small piece that can allow them to tastefully and subtly express themselves. Aside from self expression, many women believe that ankle pieces make their feet look more appealing, which adds to their charm. Through time the growing popularity of ankle pieces began to open wider and better selection of designs influencing more people to join the fad.
Types of Ankle Tattoos
- 1 Types of Ankle Tattoos
- 2 Meaning of Ankle Tattoos
- 3 Ideal Placement of Ankle Tattoos
- 4 Preparation Tips Before Getting an Ankle Tattoo
- 5 Average Service Cost and Standard Price for Ankle Tattoos
- 6 Maintenance Tips for Ankle Tattoos
Small Animal Ankle Tattoos
If you are looking for a cute ankle tattoo that can reflect your personality, then you might want to try this type of tattoo. All you need to do is determine which animal best mirror the side of you that you want to represent. Every animal represents a certain character. A fox for example, is associated with cunning personality. A rabbit on the other hand, represents humility. To cover more choices, you may check out the alternative meaning of these animals as defined by another culture.
Swirl Ankle Tattoos
If you want a simple tattoo that highlights form over design, then swirl ankle tattoos are highly suitable for you. Many women use this type of ankle piece because of its elegant finish. The design simply swirls through the contours of your ankle to the side of your foot and then towards your toe, tracing the outline of your ankle and the edge of your foot in an enchanting motion.
Celtic Ankle Tattoos
Celtic ankle tattoos are ideal for women who want a symbolic tattoo with historical representation. This tattoo combines elegance with the meaningful patterns used by the Celts during the ancient times. Celtic tattoos are made up of shapes, lines and patterns intertwining together to create a beautiful knotwork. The Celts believes that the bearers of this symbol have the ability to summon good energies that bring good luck.
Vine Ankle Tattoos
Vine tattoo is one of the trending types of ankle tattoos today. If you are looking for a colourful design to accent your ankle, then you should consider getting a vine tattoo. This type of tattoo represents femininity, as it is often combined with colourful looking flowers. The shade used to color this tattoo is supposed to provide an unlikely contrast between your tattoo and skin, creating a great finish that can make your ankle look more stunning.
Meaning of Ankle Tattoos
Ankle tattoos have different meanings and may symbolize different things. One of the common ways to define the meaning of a tattoo is to check its historical background and origin. Tribal ankle designs like Celtic tattoos are usually associated with the beliefs, traditions and cultural practices of the tribe where the tattoos belong. Defining the meaning of a tattoo through this practice can help you come up with the generally accepted meaning of a tattoo design.
Another way to define the meaning of an ankle tattoo is to get it directly from the bearer. Although doing research may shed some light regarding the traits and values of the tattoo owner, it doesn’t really reveal the actual meaning of the tattoo. This is because the true meaning of the tattoo is actually defined by the person wearing it.
As an example of general meaning; women who wear ankle tattoos are often defined as independent, secretive, self-assured individuals with subtle personality and strong conviction. The ankle tattoo is their way of expressing that they can be tough and elegant at the same time without the need to show off to everyone.
Ideal Placement of Ankle Tattoos
The ideal placement of an ankle tattoo depends on what area of your ankle you wish to highlight and the design that you wish to use. These two factors are the primary considerations when deciding the best placement for your tattoo.
- There are many ways to execute an ankle tattoo. One is to wrap around the tattoo on your ankle. Tribal ankle tattoos usually make a good ankle band. The shapes and patterns used in this type of design allow the tattooist to easily extend the design around your ankle without compensating the quality of the tattoo.
- For those who prefer a small piece ankle tattoo, you may pick anywhere around your talus or the joint connecting your midfoot to your ankle. Choose a small and flexible design that can work well with the contours of this area so your tattoo won’t look deformed when you flex your foot up and down.
- For vines and swirl ankle tattoos, your ankle and side edge of your foot or leg will make an ideal location. This allows the design to flow freely from your ankle as it elegantly emphasizes the outline of your foot or leg.
- 125 Best Anchor Tattoos of 2017 (with Meanings)
- 110 Awesome Music Tattoo Collection for Everyone
- 110 Best Family Tattoo Designs This Year
- 125 Unique Arrow Tattoos with Meanings
- 125 Best Aztec Tattoo Designs for Men
Preparation Tips Before Getting an Ankle Tattoo
- Choose the ankle tattoo design that you want. Remember that the larger and more complex the design you choose the longer it will to take to complete your tattoo.
- Decide on how you want to be inked on your ankle. There are many ways to execute an ankle tattoo, so make sure to find a suitable design for your target location.
- Find a well-established tattoo parlor or tattooist. You can ask for recommendations from your friends or the locals in your area. Reading tattoo shop reviews is also highly recommended.
- Talk to your prospect tattooist before setting an appointment. Discuss your target design and the location of your ankle tattoo. Find out if you feel comfortable with the discussion and the recommendations of the tattooist. Don’t forget to ask for a quotation.
- Prepare your budget. Ankle tattoos may cost lesser compared to a full sleeve tattoo or a black piece, but it doesn’t mean it’s going to be cheap. Note that the more complex the design that you want the more expensive your tattoo gets.
- Properly moisturize your skin and get enough sleep and vitamins, weeks before your scheduled tattoo session. The condition of your skin can affect the overall quality of your tattoo. The color and details of a tattoo always look better for a healthy skin.
- Refrain from taking aspirin or other blood thinning medications 24 hours before your tattoo session. Blood thinning drugs can cause you to bleed more than necessary. In which case the tattooist may need to stop the tattoo session.
- Take your meals a few hours before your tattoo session. This is to keep you from starving in case the tattoo session takes longer than expected. Bring something that will keep you entertained. Since you’ll be getting an ankle tattoo your hands should be free to play some games on your phone, so make sure you have enough games or movies to keep you busy.
Average Service Cost and Standard Price for Ankle Tattoos
The cost of a tattoo is usually determined by the size, complexity and color of the design. Other additional factors that can affect the price include the location of the tattoo shop and expertise of the tattoo artist.
A tattoo artist in the US may ask for $100 to $150 per hour. A simple ankle tattoo may take an hour or two to complete which can cost you a minimum of $200. Remember to include an additional 10 to 25% service tip for the artist.
Premiere tattoo parlor on the other hand can charge you based on the size of your preferred ankle tattoo design. The minimum charge starts at $60 for the first inch plus $20 per succeeding inch.
Aside from these pricing methods, some shops also offer discounts and special promos. Some of these promos can save you up to 50% off of your tattoo’s regular price, which is a great deal considering that an expert tattoo artist can be in charge of your tattoo.
Maintenance Tips for Ankle Tattoos
Your knowledge about the proper maintenance of your ankle tattoos determines the length of time you can keep your tattoo looking bold and vibrant. This can also help you save time and money from going back and forth to your tattoo artist for a touch up.
- Keep your skin protected from harsh weather conditions. Too much sunlight and cold can damage your skin, and whatever damages your skin can damage your tattoo. Applying sunblock during the summer or moisturizer during winter can help preserve your tattoo.
- Remember to keep your tattoo protected from insect bites, allergens and other external factors that can harm your tattoo. Wearing protective gears when exploring outdoors or when operating in a skin hazard environment or substances, reduces the risk of accidentally damaging your tattoo.
- Always wear comfortable clothes. Wearing comfortable clothes or in this case pants will reduce unnecessary friction between your pants and your tattoo. Persistent scratching or friction can cause you tattoo’s color to fade faster than necessary. Wear garments that allow your tattoo to breathe.
- Find credible tattoo care products that can give your tattoo an extra layer of protection. You invested a lot of money on your tattoo, so it’s only natural to go an extra mile to prolong the value of your investment.
The details provided here are some of the basic information that you should know if you are planning to get an ankle tattoo. If you want to get more information about any specific concern, then consulting a reliable expert tattooist will be your next best option.