Best friend tattoos, also known as BFF tattoos, are a highly popular and fun way to show off your relationship with your close friends. There are dozens of ways for you to symbolize your friendship, and there’s nothing quite like getting a matching tattoo with one of your friends, to prove to everyone that your friendship is bound to last forever.
If you and your friend are practically joint at the hip, then you might have thought about acquiring matching best friend tattoos before. Maybe the two of you have had something special in mind, or maybe you need a little bit of inspiration before heading over to the deep end. Certain best friend tattoos are matching, while others contrast, or are two parts of one whole. All of them have emphasized that the owners of two tattoos have gone together like two peas in a pod.
Types of Best Friend Tattoos
- Hearts best friend tattoos – Hearts are highly popular imagery when it comes to BFF tattoos. Some best friends get matching heart tattoos that occasionally include loving quotes. A thumb print heart on the ankles or the wrist is a good spot for these types of tattoos.
- Peanut butter and jelly tattoos – The peanut butter and jelly always goes together in a sandwich. One is never better without the other. This is a great and fun way for you to represent how close you are.
- Girly best friend tattoos – If you don’t really want to focus on words and concentrate on pictures instead, then there are loads of symbols for you to choose from. You may also add a ribbon on it to make it look extra feminine. Additional swirls, hearts, crowns, cherries, stick figures, feathers, birds, butterfly wings, owls, flowers, and basically anything aesthetically pleasing which also boasts a symmetrical look can bring a tattoo over to the girly side.
- Celtic knot – The ancient Celtic knot symbolizes eternity, and infinite loyalty, as well as friendship and love. This symbol has been around since the 450 AD. This is also known as the mystic knot, or the endless knot. When you take a look at these beautiful knots, you won’t be able to see an ending or a beginning, and this reminds you of your spirit’s timeless nature.
- Best friend quotes tattoos – You can place in extra imagery to the quote of your choice, including hearts, puzzle pieces, or even smaller people acting out these quotes. You can also decide to sport at least half a quote on one person, while the remainder of the quote is continued in a similar location on the next person. Placing these two halves together builds a finished piece that informs everyone that the two of you are besties twice over.
Meaning of Best Friend Tattoos
People always try to find ways on how they can show off their friendship to the public. One of the best ways is to use a type of ink that will be seen by everyone. Getting a tattoo with your bestie is a good way to permanently seal a friendship. Even though plenty of people want to get a matching tattoo with their significant others, there are plenty more incentives for getting a tattoo with a friend.
A lot of best friend tattoos only work if the two friends are in the same room together, standing right next to one another. Since a best friend tattoo isn’t complete without the other half, it ensures that even a stranger is bound to recognize your friendship when you are together.
Ideal Placement of Best Friend Tattoos
There are many parts of your body in which you can put in your best friend tattoos. These tattoos will be engraved on each person’s wrist, the back of their hand, the chest, ankles, fingers, shoulders, back, spine, feet, and neck. Make sure that your best friend also places their tattoo on the same area as yours, so that the essence of a best friend tattoo is highly achieved.
Arms and wrists are the most popular places to put in a BFF tattoo, since they can be seen easily and will also remind you of your friend or friends. The choices are endless – A person’s favorite image, meaningful phrases, monograms, and so on. The concept of splitting the tattoo into different parts is great, so when you place your hands together, it’ll be whole.
The chest is near to a person’s heart. And since you love your best friend dearly, the chest area is the best place for you to get your BFF tattoo. Your best friend tattoo also looks great on the chest.
Best Friend Tattoos Preparation Tips
Nowadays, it seems like everyone has gotten a tattoo on their body. Some of them are small, while others completely occupy a person’s entire limb, or even cover the entire body. But before the two of you could dive right in and get a tattoo, there are many important things you need to know. To be able to understand what you’re about to get into, here are a couple of needed guidance tips regarding getting a tattoo.
Look for a good tattoo artist with a personal affiliation, so you can completely rely on them to be informed about getting a tattoo the right way. Go visit a parlor which a family member or a friend has visited, so you can be 100% sure that it’s reliable. Also be certain that the artist are using safe and disinfected needles for the tattoo. If you use dirty or unsanitized needles, you could place yourself at risk for catching lots of diseases. After you have discovered the right tattoo parlor for you, go and meet up with fellow artists so you can talk about whatever tattoo you want to get.
Bring your best friend with you to share your experience, and to help calm you down. Sometimes, it’s more beneficial to bring someone who has already gotten a tattoo, since they can guide you throughout the entire process.
You and your best friend must go ahead of time to talk to the tattoo artist regarding the design. Bring the sketch with you, or have it printed out. Or if it’s your own creation, bring a draft of it. Don’t bring a design that you might regret getting in the future. Choose something that has a personal meaning, or something that you think is great.
Choose the right outfit. If you arrive at the tattoo shop wearing a dress, and want to get a tattoo on your lower backside, you may have to undress to get the work done. You have to wear something that allows you to have easy access to the place where want to put the tattoo on. Always wear loose or old clothes after getting a new tattoo, and do not wear socks and closed shoes on a new foot tattoo, since this can cause major irritation, since tattoos need lots of air in order to heal correctly and look nicely done.
You must find out the placement of your tattoo on your body. You should also think about the pain that you have to endure, depending on where exactly you want it. Here is an excellent way to make sure that you have picked the right spot for your tattoo – Draw on yourself using a sharpie pen, or get a sticker tattoo from a toy store. This way, if you plan on getting it in a visible spot, you can leave it on for several days, to be positive that this is the right location.
Average Service Cost & Standard Price for Getting Best Friend Tattoos
Besides picking best friend tattoos thanks to their implied meaning, the cost of acquiring one is a huge factor that needs to be considered. If you want to get a tattoo, you must ask yourself how much does a typical tattoo cost. The two ways used by tattoo artists to charge for their services, include the time it takes to finish a task, as well as the standard set prices. If the tattoo is too large, it takes more time to finish the entire process – As compared to a small tattoo.
The costs that are associated with permanent tattoos aren’t cheap, unless you choose to get a temporal one. If you want a large tattoo be prepared to get more since the cost can go up to a thousand dollars. The typical tattoo can have a minimum cost of $50 up to $100 per hour of service.
Maintenance Tips After Getting Best Friend Tattoos
Once you have selected your tattoo design and have gotten your ink done at the studio, tattoo aftercare is the most important aspect of the entire process. Post-tattoo care must not be taken lightly. You must know how to take care of a tattoo as much as you possibly can. Here are some aftercare tattoo tips.
- Do not, under any circumstances, pick on a scab while the tattoo is drying up.
- Leave your bandage on for at least an hour and no longer than four or five hours.
- After you get a new tattoo, do not swim in lakes, pools, ponds, or baths for up to three weeks.